1. Tell us about your business/for purpose organization (how long have you been in business, what is your specialty, products or services, how many employees you have, etc.):
At Café Grumpy, we like to keep things simple and focus on quality. Serving our favorite coffees from roasters around the country was a great way to introduce NYC to single cup brewing in 2006. By 2009, we were ready to develop and roast our own approachable, seasonal coffee menu. Every year we strive to connect our customers more closely with the coffees we source by maintaining direct relationships with our producing partners around the world. Our goal is to serve you a delicious and socially responsible cup that highlights the nuances inherent in each coffee we roast.
We’re proud to let the coffee speak for itself.
We currently run 6 Cafe Grumpy cafes in NYC and numerous wholesale accounts throughout the US sell our coffee.
2. What makes your company/organization leaders in your industry?
Since we opened in 2005, we have redefined specialty coffee in NYC: from the introduction of the multi-roaster concept, brew-by-the-cup, to the neighborhoods we have chosen for our cafes, in-house roasting and the career paths we have created for our staff.
3. Who or what has influenced you (book, movie, person, other company/for purpose organization)?
We are inspired by individuals who work hard, care about the environment, are authentic and brave. One person who comes to mind is Richard Branson of Virgin.
4. What key qualities do you look for in your employees/team?
We look for positive employees with an appreciation of specialty coffee. We also tend to hire people who are self-motivated and creative – artists, designers, musicians.
5. Words of advice for others growing their business/for purpose organization?
Use your intuition, be innovative and honest with yourself.