Sustainability in-house policies can easily be leveraged to turn businesses into far more profitable entities. While going green is not always easy, especially for businesses, the alarm signals surrounding the rising sea levels, the pollution and the pressure from NGOs make most players in the business world to consider alternatives to their not-so-green processes and protocols, products and policies.
While many businesses think of sustainability as another way to market themselves, the change is still due to make a real difference when it comes to improving the environment. When it comes to eco-friendly standards, things are evolving fast. When we think about green standards, what was progressive and popular in the ‘90s, it barely makes a difference today. Even if certain companies were up to date at that time with sustainability standards, they have to change and adapt to today’s market demands.
The consumer today is growing more and more concerned with environmental matters but also with finding companies that align with their concerns regarding those. Consumers start to avoid those companies that don’t pay attention to their sustainability policies and don’t put extra efforts into improving their solutions and policies. And so, those businesses risk losing clients progressively.
Eco-Friendly Solutions Boost Business Profit Margins
When consumers show clear signs that they prefer sustainable businesses and products, this can not only help the environment but also their profit margins. Sustainability shouldn’t be seen as a marketing strategy. It should be an act in which companies of different sizes and capabilities should involve and contribute. The necessary proportions of the change to make itself visible are enormous. But while some investments are clearly necessary to rise to that standard, the advantages brought to businesses that adopt such measures are equally generous.
Think of how much money your company can save, in the long run, by adopting eco-friendly and energy-saving lightbulbs, by implementing a ride-sharing programs, green data centres etc.
According to the World Economic Forum, more than 75% of the manufacturers around the world experienced lower profit margins as their expenses with materials grew. Eco-friendly initiatives could help manufacturers reduce those costs by reducing waste and boosting the productivity of their materials.
Legislative frameworks around the world seem to be progressively focused on fuelling a circular economy model which means that new incentives are due to enter in force for the companies with similar policies and protocols. This opens new opportunities to similar companies, such as giving them a new competitive edge and helping them grow their profits.
Besides, green buildings show higher energy-efficiency levels. Obviously, the overall operational expenses of a business are due to decrease and turn into profit margins.
How to Bring Innovation to Your Business
There are certain steps that will allow you to green your business in an effective and profitable fashion. To make sure that you fit the standards, follow the advice below.
- Set your target. When starting their sustainability journey, all businesses need a plan and clear milestones. Developing goals and milestones will help your enterprise innovate more in the area. This will also help your company to measure the results easier in the future.
- Start from the top. To successfully tailor and develop sustainability policies, the leaders should be the ones to support such initiatives. Middle and lower management will follow the example.
- Your vendors matter. This should be the most important part that companies should emphasise when developing sustainability measures and implementing them. Long-term eco-innovation can only be sustained if your company carefully selects the vendors. Their policies and processes should fully align with your company’s.
- Equipment innovation. Sustainability can only be achieved by integrating appropriate pieces of equipment in your company’s internal processes. From manufacturing to waste management, all pieces of equipment should beautifully align with your company’s philosophy and goals. If your company aims to improve its waste management capabilities, you should then research innovative solution ideas for compacting the waste from the business. All manufacturing businesses have impressive volumes of waste to manage and appropriate pieces of equipment are mandatory. For instance, air powered balers and compactors are an eco-friendly solution of waste management, that will not only green your business, but it will also facilitate the manufacturing workflow. Research similar solutions and see which aligns better with your company sustainability philosophy.
Advantages of Integrating Environmental-Friendly Policies in Businesses
Operating with respect for the environment certainly means a bit of effort on businesses’ part, but this can turn into their advantage. As of 2017, companies that focused on green innovation experienced an annual growth rate of 15%. Across the world, only small companies account for more than 90% of the businesses with deep incorporation of green policies. There are some solid reasons why these companies experience staggering growth rates:
- They successfully make their entrance on new, emerging markets. With the green revolution, there are numerous new markets emerging and expanding. This allows old enterprises to seek challenges and opportunities in those markets, contributing to their overall profits.
- They attract more investors. Angel investors, banks and municipalities. Generally, these players are keen on supporting green and sustainable businesses, which allows them, in return, to experience new levels of growth.
- They are well ahead of environmental regulations. The green standards adopted for businesses around the world are becoming stricter by the day. This means that staying ahead of those regulations will allow businesses to avoid the costs and consequences of not complying to those.
- They integrate enough policies to make their processes more profitable. By eliminating waste and improving their recycling capabilities, businesses are due to lower their operational costs.
- They promote innovation. In-house innovation is a result of such measures. By adopting new sustainability standards, frequent audits become the norm. This will allow your company to remain a step ahead of the competition and deliver innovative products that follow the sustainability standards and regulations in force.
With a consumer that is increasingly concerned with environmental matters, adopting sustainability policies will boost your competitiveness in the industry and will make your business’ profit margins grow significantly.