A personal injury lawyer provides legal services to anyone who claims to have suffered an injury or harm (which could be physical or psychological) as a result of the negligence on the part of another person, company, government agency, or indeed, any entity. These acts are also called torts.
What Kind of Lawsuits Do They Take On?
Here are some of the more common kinds of cases handled by personally injury lawyer:
Car Accident Cases
When a car accident happens it’s usually because one of the drivers is not following the rules of the road or is driving carelessly. This person can be held responsible (usually financially) for the injuries caused by the accident.
Medical Malpractice Cases
This can happen when a doctor or other healthcare professional provides treatment that can be seen as below the appropriate medical standard of care and a patient is injured as a result.
Slip and Fall Cases
Property owners are legally liable to keep their premises reasonably safe and free from possible dangers so that people on that property are not injured. They can be held liable if you’re injured.
Dog Bite Cases
The law varies in terms of severity from state to state, but in most cases, the dog’s owner is held financially liable for any expenses related to the injury.
Defamation: Libel and Slander Cases
Here we are looking at an injury to someone’s reputation as a result of an untrue statement/s. Exactly what the person suing needs to prove will differ depending on who they are and the situation in which the statement was made.
Assault, Battery and Other Intentional Torts
These kinds of torts happen when one person harms or injures another on purpose, instead of as a result of negligence or carelessness.
What Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Do?
There are many advantages to hiring an NYC personal injury lawyer:
- They can assess the damage/s professionally and objectively.
- Help you make better decisions based on their specialized knowledge of personal injury law.
- Negotiate on your behalf and can swing a compensation to the right position for you. They can help to save your time as well.
- Deal with insurance companies, which can be confusing and daunting, with companies often wanting to protect their pockets, not their clients.
- If you hire a personal injury lawyer, settlement is the likeliest outcome, but they can also represent you in court.
- Give you peace of mind, so that you can focus on recovering from your injury.
Unfortunately accidents happen. If you are unfortunate enough to sustain an injury due to another person or company’s negligence a personal injury lawyer can assist you through the tough legal claims. It is well worth spending the time and money on a personal injury lawyer if you find yourself in a situation where you might need one.