Sustainable packaging is the use of a variety of design ideas, practices, and eco-friendly materials. When talking about sustainable packaging, it doesn’t stop with the type of packaging materials utilized and encompasses the entire supply chain.
The world is seeing increased interest and effort in the implementation of green initiatives. The hype is rapidly spreading and is expected to continue for the years to come. Sustainable initiatives have been existing for quite some time now but have seen more countries and more people joining the bandwagon in the past 3-5 years. Nowadays, businesses are becoming more concerned with sustainability in their supply chain since it’s already starting to affect consumer decisions and spending habits.
Is your company or business using environmentally-friendly packaging materials? Below is an overview of how sustainable packaging can have an impact on your business.
Meet and Exceed Regulations
The number of countries that are now implementing strict policies concerning green initiatives is rapidly increasing. That said, more businesses are now required to work on the sustainable packaging of their products around the world. Even if you’re in a country that’s not yet fully expecting you to make use of sustainable materials in your business, it’s always a good idea to get ahead and prepare to meet the upcoming regulations.
Here are some of the countries that are now slowly working towards greener business initiatives:
- European Union members – All member-countries of the European Union must comply with sustainable packaging legislation. This is part of Europe’s effort to achieve a greener environment for the generations to come.
- The United States – There’s an increase in the number of states that are now implementing policies or regulations to impact the packaging practices of different business establishments.
- Canada – just like the United States, Canada has started to implement legislative requirements at the provincial level that are in line with the initiative to go green with the business product packaging.
Makes Your Business Even More Visible
The green initiative movement is on the rise, and there’s no sign of stopping. That said, consumers are now starting to take into consideration your effort to reduce the negative impact on the environment. Whether your business has a sustainable packaging system in place or not can significantly affect the decision-making process of your prospect customers. Different surveys have suggested that customers are now more inclined to do business with companies that are going green.
What does this mean to your business? By implementing green initiative programs and activities at the different levels of your business operations and letting everyone know or see it, you increase your chance of attracting customers and clients. Switching to sustainable packaging can improve the image of your brand and is one way of protecting your business from getting left behind your competitors.
More Space For Your Business
Sustainable packaging requires creativity, and creativity means more space and more storage for your business. By practicing sustainable packaging, you become more conscious as to how much material you’re going to use for your products and how you do the actual packaging. More often than not, you tend to minimize the materials you use while ensuring efficiency.
Here are some ways that sustainable packaging results in more space for your business.
- Maximizing space when transporting products – Sustainable packaging allows you to save space for each product required for transport. That said, you can ship more products and lessen the number of transports needed. In the long run, maximizing space when transporting products will result in cutting down on operational expenses and saving more of your money.
- Flexibility on where to place products on your storage – With sustainable packaging that’s done efficiently, you can have more room on your shelves. You can have flexibility when it comes to the placement of products, even achieve more creative displays that your customers would love to see.
Increased Revenue For Your Business
As already mentioned above, consumer behavior is changing and is shifting towards the green option. Your potential customers are now taking into account what your business is doing for the environment. Going to the sustainable packaging direction is one way to promote your products. Sustainable packaging also increases brand awareness of your business to the environment-conscious market.
Increased brand awareness and attracting customers to your products through sustainable packaging will translate to more sales. The large portion of your customer base is now trying to reduce their carbon footprint, so, as a business owner, you have to take advantage by focusing on a more significant cause for the environment.
While shifting to the practice of sustainable packaging can’t be done overnight, it’s a good idea to start planning on how you’ll take on it in the future. Sustainable packaging doesn’t only contribute to helping the environment. This initiative also helps your business to operate in line with regulations and policies, create more space, improve your brand’s image, and increase your revenue.
There’s no valid reason not to do sustainable packaging. Start investing in it now and experience an exceptional return to your business.